Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Garden of Kama


Who? Hmmm, not sure if that applies in this case..."me", I guess, or Andrew May, as he has done the sculpting so far; and others, who haven't yet done any for it, but shall...

What? A sort of Fantasy India and South-East Asia with elements of Hindu and Buddhist Mythology; Thai, Burmese, Cambodian folklore; and Tibetan Sacred Art. Plus some inspiration from the Hari Siri komix.

When? It's set in a mythical "Time of Heroes" when gods and men walked together and fought demons and each other. Before the events in the Ramayana or the Mahabharata, or perhaps around the same time. Who knows? Time sorta tends to flow together in Myths anyway!

Where? Good question! On the back a turtle swimming in the World Ocean, or was it the back of an elephant? Or tucked in next to Venhya, maybe? Who knows - go through that pass in the mountains to the north and you might end up on the Hyrkanian plains, or on the shores of an inland sea...

I think the Hari Ragat setting is just off the map to the east.

Why? Because, Cletus, I'm bored! Ok, not really. What really happened is that I have liked the frontispiece to an old book of pseudo-Indian love poems called "The Garden of Kama" since I first saw it - that's it pictured above. And over the holidays the local rag published a Tibetan folklore story which was illustrated by these and I thought - hmm, "wouldn't those be cool!"

And then Andrew got me hooked on Tibetan sacred art and it sort of went from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment